Monday, April 11, 2005

Terra Bella Century

Terra Bella
Saturday, April 9, 2005
Well after many years of inactivity on the a bike, I thought that the Terra Bella ride would be a good place in which to start. Since it draws a big crowd it is definity one of the more social rides for those living in the bay area. The only problem is that I wimped out due to the unseasonably cold temperatures on the day of the ride. So at the last moment I decided to ride the metric century instead. This would also spare me from having to do Metcalf road so early in the season.

Last summer I purchased my first road bike in quite some time. You basic aluminum frame with Shimano 105 components. Since I had gained some weight over the years I wasn't really excited about doing some of the steeper hills. Basically I was just looking forward to the big foodfest at the end of the ride. Well with only sixty some miles I finished the ride in record time....now I am ready to try some other more challenging rides this year....Bring it on.

The course has become a little bit more hectic that in the past. With the increased development in Gilroy and the large amount of riders somethimes it gets to be a bit much trying to make you way through the growing neighborhoods in the area. I am also aware that the entry fee goes towards things like snacks, lunch, drinks, and bathrooms I find the rural scenary slowing disappearing and being replaced by ugly gated developments that suck up huge amounts of water and do nothing for the surrounding community. Maybe a rant topic for another post.

No comments: