Thursday, October 13, 2005

Quality isn't what it used to be.

As I mentioned something as important and as necessarily basic as a pump seems to me just to be a throwaway item. Most pumps nowadays (floor and frame) are made of plastic. Although plastic is a fantastic synthetic material cheap plastic is cheap plastic. A riding buddy of mine just last week had a floor pump die within 2 years of purchase.

I mentioned that for the last 20 years I have used a Silca floor pump. It is beautiful. The barrel is steel, the hose is high quality and the valve is brass. The rubber inside the brass is high quality rubber, not some cheap shiny crap. You do the math. If this pump was twice as much but lasts 4, 5, or 10 times longer. Which is the better deal. Sorry people, but when you are paying close to $3 per gallon of gas is riding a bike that expensive. I Love my Silca.....

No comments: